Whereas the general field of dermatology is about medical care of the skin, cosmetic dermatology is the specialized field focusing on improving or maintaining the appearance of the skin. Cosmetic dermatology involves a variety of techniques which help reduce or fix wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, sun damage, scars (from acne, surgery, or injury), discoloration, and other skin blemishes.
The principles of cosmetic dermatology are based on rejuvenating and beautifying the skin. Let’s talk about some of the key reasons why you might have a cosmetic dermatological treatment, some of the most popular skin treatments today, and where you can go in Miami and throughout South Florida for world-class skin care for the whole family.
Why Should You Consider Cosmetic Dermatology Treatments?
The main reasons why you would have professional cosmetic skin care treatment are that you want to achieve the following:
- Improve your appearance and self-confidence: Professional cosmetic skin treatments can help your skin look smoother and tighter. As a result, you will feel great about yourself – no more feeling embarrassed or self-conscious.
- Look younger: Many dermatological procedures can help reduce the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. Some treatments can even help to slow down the aging process of the skin by preventing or delaying the formation of new wrinkles and fine lines.
- Repair skin conditions: Cosmetic dermatology can also treat certain skin conditions that may not respond very well to over-the-counter skin creams, such as acne scars or stretch marks.
- Achieve better skin through a relatively painless procedure: Cosmetic dermatology procedures are minimally invasive and are oftentimes practically painless, thanks to advances in technology and techniques over the years.
What Are the Cosmetic Dermatology Treatment Options?
Some of the most popular treatments in cosmetic dermatology include the following:
- Facials – The main purpose of a professional facial is to cleanse and exfoliate the skin, while also providing deep hydration. This can help to make the skin look more radiant and youthful.
- Glycolic acid peel – Glycolic acid, which is derived from sugar cane, helps to exfoliate dead skin cells – revealing new, healthier skin underneath.
- Dermal fillers – Dermal fillers are a type of cosmetic injectable treatment that is used to fill in fine lines, wrinkles, and sallow skin. They are usually made of hyaluronic acid, which is a substance that is naturally produced by the body, but the filler gives your skin the extra boost it needs.
- Botox – This treatment works by relaxing the tight, tiny muscles in your face which are creating lines and wrinkles. After these muscles relax, you will enjoy a smoother, more youthful appearance.
- Fraxel – Fraxel is a laser treatment that is used to treat a variety of skin concerns, including fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, and acne scars. It works by targeting specific areas of the skin with tiny pulses of light. This helps to stimulate the production of new collagen in the skin, and it can improve the overall texture and tone of the skin.
- Laser hair removal – In this treatment, a laser that emits a beam of light is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle, causing it to heat up and destroy the follicle. This is done for areas where you do not want your hair to regrow.
- Pulse dye laser – This treatment works to reduce redness, remove small blood vessels, and help with rosacea.
- Radiofrequency microneedling/Morpheus 8 – Morpheus 8 can help to smooth the skin with its resurfacing feature as well as tighten the skin with its contouring feature. This treatment can improve skin texture and appearance.
Family Dermatologist in Miami, FL
Dr. Ana Duarte and her medical team at the Children’s Skin Center Pediatric and Adult Dermatology provide a wide range of cosmetic dermatology treatments that help our patients look and feel their best. We treat patients throughout South Florida, including Miami, Coral Gables, Doral, and Kendall.
To schedule a consultation with one of our outstanding dermatologists, call our office today at (305) 669-6555 or fill out our convenient online appointment request form now. We look forward to helping you love how your skin looks!