Pediatric dermatology is a specialty under dermatology that focuses on enhancing a person’s appearance. While often associated with adults, this practice can be beneficial for children too. The services offered by pediatric dermatology for children can include treating birthmarks, moles, and warts, and providing options for scar management.
Here’s how this dermatology specialty can help your child:
1. We Can Help Solve Physical Problems
Many children experience physical problems at birth or as they grow. These can range from prominent birthmarks to moles.
Pediatric dermatology can help correct these physical features to restore your child’s appearance.
This will boost their confidence, making them feel more comfortable in their own skin.
Some of these skin conditions include the following:
- Hemangioma– a collection of blood vessels that appears as a reddish birthmark
- Moles– can be removed to limit the risk of developing skin cancer
- Port wine stains– flat, pink, or purple birthmarks
2. We Can Help Reduce Scarring
If your child has experienced a wound or injury that has left a permanent scar, pediatric dermatologist can help reduce its appearance.
Scar management solutions help to lessen the appearance of these wound marks. Treatment options for these conditions include the following:
- Laser resurfacing– a laser device is used to remove a thin layer of skin, allowing for smoother and softer skin
- Dermabrasion– a sanding technique used to exfoliate the skin
- Injecting fillers– hyaluronic acid is injected into the scar tissue to soften it
- Topical creams– with collagen or silicone
3. We Can Help Treat Skin Conditions
Many children experience skin conditions like the following:
- Eczema– a skin condition causing redness, itchiness, and scaling of the skin
- Psoriasis–an autoimmune disorder causing thick, scaly patches of skin
- Acne– a condition resulting in blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples
- Atopic dermatitis– a chronic, itchy rash
- Molluscum contagiosum– a condition caused by a virus that results in raised bumps on the skin
- Warts– a skin growth caused by a virus
Pediatric dermatology can help treat these skin conditions, allowing your child to have clear and healthy-looking skin.
4. We Can Make Certain Skin Conditions More Manageable
The majority of skin conditions in children can be managed with treatments such as topical creams and antibiotics.However, pediatric dermatology can help make them more manageable.
For instance, it can help even out the skin tone with treatments such as laser therapy and chemical peels. It can also help reduce acne breakouts by using a combination of:
- Topical medications
- Light therapies
- Chemical peels
5. We Can Help Boost Their Confidence and Self-Esteem
Sadly, children get teased and bullied due to physical deformities or skin conditions. Pediatric dermatology can help boost your child’s confidence and self-esteem by improving their physical appearance.
Treating physical problems and skin conditions will help your child feel more comfortable in their own skin. This can go a long way in helping them become more confident.It can also help reduce any bullying they may be experiencing.
When to Visit a Pediatric Dermatologist
Does your child have any physical deformities, scars, or skin conditions that are making them uncomfortable or affecting their confidence?
If so, it might be time to visit a pediatric dermatologist. You can bring your child to your trusted pediatric dermatologist if:
- They have a birthmark, mole, wart, or other skin growth that needs to be removed
- They have scars that need treatment
- They have a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis that needs to be managed
Your pediatric dermatologist will develop a personalized care plan for your child.
Choosing a Trusted Pediatric Dermatologist
When choosing a pediatric dermatologist to take your child to, make sure you select an experienced and knowledgeable professional.
Research their credentials and ask questions related to their experience and results. You can also ask for referrals from your family doctor, friends, and other medical professionals you trust.
Finding the right practitioner for your child is the key to ensuring they get the best care and results from their treatment.
Pediatric Dermatology Near You in Miami and Coral Gables, FL
Pediatric dermatology can help your child feel more comfortable in their own skin. It can reduce the appearance of scars, treat skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis, and boost confidence. If your child has skin issues or deformities that are making them feel uncomfortable, it might be time to visit a trusted pediatric dermatologist. With the right practitioner and tailored treatment plan, your child can have clear, healthy, and beautiful skin.
Looking for a trusted practice of pediatric dermatology near you in Miami and Coral Gables? You can rely on the well-regarded Children’s Skin Center in Florida. Dermatology and pediatric dermatology board-certified Dr. Ana Duarte leads our team. With her expert guidance, we will take care of your child’s unique skin needs. Ring our hotline today at (305) 669-6555 so we can better help you. You can also book a visit with our secure online appointment request form.
We look forward to helping your child enjoy the benefits of pediatric dermatology!